What is the Perl QA Hackathon?
A free of charge coding workshop for people involved in Quality Assurance, testing, packaging, CPAN, and other projects related to quality assurance. The workshop is not necessarily exclusive to Perl projects, however, many of the attendees will be planning to work on projects that have a direct benefit to the Perl language.
This year’s Hackathon will be held at the The Rugby Hotel in Rugby, UK from April 21-24.
We use the language, various modules and projects powered by Perl for the following:
- The SureVoIP RESTful API
- The new unreleased SureVoIP Portal (powered by Catalyst)
- All our billing glue (direct debits submission, invoices, checking accounts etc.)
- Loading of rates generated from BT Wholesale and various other carriers
- BT Emergency Services 999 data submission and collection
- Our messaging framework which we sponsored and released
- Our monitoring platform and custom metric check modules for Nagios
- Connecting to our Softswitch platform to run and check various things
- Custom SureVoIP Partner projects
- too many things to list to be honest
In summary, if you’re a business or user that thinks phenomenal software projects like Perl and Open Source Software in general is free (quoted from this page):
Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software” to show we do not mean it is gratis.
then you need to understand that in fact all Open Source projects need to receive funding from somewhere. That “somewhere” should be you too! 🙂
Please help any project you use by donating to them.